Childhood Memories of Phillies Catcher Bob Boone

It was the late seventies. As a seven or eight year old boy, I was excited to see my favorite baseball player, the Bull, Greg Luzinski, come to the Kiddie City on Erie Avenue near the Juniata Park section of Philadelphia. But the Bull was suffering from an injury that day, and couldn’t make it. In his place, the Phillies sent their star catcher, Bob Boone. 

Sure, I was disappointed Luzinski couldn’t make it. But everyone knew Bob Boone. By 1979, he had already been an All-Star three times. He may not have been a serious offensive threat. But he did win Gold Gloves in 1978 and 1979. 

And so, Boone showed up. He climbed up on to the temporary stage they had built in the Kiddie City parking lot, and demonstrated some toy. I think it was one of those machines that lobbed a plastic ball in the air that you then hit with a plastic bat. Of course, it didn’t matter. I wasn’t there to buy a new toy. I was there to meet one of the players on my favorite team. 

Afterwards, Boone was very gracious. He came down from the stage to sign autographs, and even posed for a picture with my cousins and me. As a boy, I was impressed. 

Bob Boone came from a baseball family. His father, Ray, played third base, mostly in the American League. His sons, Bret and Aaron, whom I remember as little boys hanging out in the Phillies dugout, also had successful major league careers. 

Boone played a large role in helping to bring the Phillies their first World Championship in their 97 year history. In the game where the Phillies clinched the National League East, October 4, 1980 in Montreal, Boone replaced Keith Moreland in the bottom of the eighth, taking Sparky Lyle’s position in the batting order in a double switch. In the top of the ninth, with the Phils down 3-4, Boone got a clutch single to score Bake McBride and tie the game. 

In the World Series, Boone batted .412, scoring three runs and knocking in four. And who could forget, in the ninth inning of Game Six, Boone and Pete Rose combined on catching a Frank White foul ball that helped Tug McGraw get out of a bases loaded jam. 

I was greatly disappointed when the Phillies traded Boone to the Angels in 1982. He continued to be a well-respected defensive catcher, winning five more Gold Gloves in the American League. But to me, Bob Boone will always be the star catcher on my Phillies team, the team that I grew up with and that brought the World Championship to Philadelphia. 

William J. Kovatch, Jr. 

Comments

  1. I was the store manager at the time there...was worried a riot would break out if Luzinski didn't show....we demonstrated the Remco Batter Up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hall of Fame Should Reverse the Slight to Dick Allen

Jimmy Rollins: The Best of the Phillies Shortstops

Dick Allen: Integrating Philadelphia’s Baseball Culture